1. National Eye Institute. Facts about cataract. Available at: https://nei.nih.gov/health/cataract/cataract_facts Last accessed March 2017.
2. Mayo Clinic. Cataracts: symptoms and causes. Available at: http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cataracts/symptoms-causes/dxc-20215129 Last accessed March 2017.
3. International Agency for the Prevention of Blindness. Cataract. Available at: http://www.iapb.org/vision-2020/what-is-avoidable-blindness/cataract Last accessed March 2017.
4. 5,104 people aged 60 and older (4,356 persons with an additional 748 who had already been treated for cataracts) were recruited to participate in a survey across 12 countries within Europe, the Middle East and Africa. The 748 respondents that had had cataract surgery were asked additional questions to find out about their treatment experiences. The survey revealed a significant gap in cataract awareness, including limited knowledge of its symptoms and treatment options.
5. World Health Organization. Prevention of blindness and visual impairment. Priority eye diseases: cataract. Available at: http://www.who.int/blindness/causes/priority/en/index1.html Last accessed March 2017.
6. NHS Choices. Cataract surgery. Available at: http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Cataract-surgery/Pages/Introduction.aspx Last accessed March 2017.
7. Fraser ML, Meuleners LB, Ng JQ, Morlet N. Driver self-regulation and depressive symptoms in cataract patients awaiting surgery: a cross-sectional study. BMC Ophthalmol. 2013;13:45.
8. Ivers RQ, Cumming RG, Mitchell P, Simpson JM, Peduto AJ. Visual risk factors for hip fracture in older people. J Am Geriatr Soc. 2003;51:356-63.